When SDCC (San Diego Comic Con) showed the first official trailer for BvS, I remember screaming in palm with excitement when I first saw it. It was intense, it was action packed, we got to see Batfleck in motion, we saw hero on hero brutalities, it was awesome. Later on, however, I still had some doubts that it wouldn't live up to its own hype. The NEW trailer that aired on Jimmy Kimmel, though, has made me hypothesizing something bold that I never thought I would say....DC may actually do better than Marvel. More on that later. Let's discuss what we saw in this new trailer
In the trailer, we see Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent meet for the first time as their public alter egos at a party, where we already get the idea that they don't see eye to eye on things. Maybe they already know each others secret identities, but don't want to cause a scene to jeopardize either. We also see that Lex Luthor is at this party to; either hosting or a guest; either way he's an annoying little weasel of a man. Throughout most of the trailer, we see shots we've seen before from the SDCC released trailer edited differently or extended some, while also seeing some new battle scenes between Batman and Superman, and even a little confrontation between Lois and Lex...then it gets interesting. We get introduced to a character we've been hearing rumors about forever that brings something more to this action movie buffet plater that's already full and yet we haven't gone back for dessert. We finally see Superman's greatest enemy of all time...DOOMSDAY!! They break for comedy and then from left to right, Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman line up to take down Doomsday aaaand scene! Title, 2016, credits, done, where's my towel!?
So that right there is the trailer summed up in a paragraph. I like how they introduced the characters to get a more in depth look at them, and even the action was pretty good. I also have to admit, I like the direction they're taking Lex this time. We've seen him before being the serious, evil scientist, business man. This time, he's the little guy with the big guns. It's like if Eddie Haskle and Jim Carrey's Riddler were fused together. We visually see he's a small man compared to Batman and Superman, but he has the mind and ability to take them down without throwing any fists of his own. Overall, I had the same reaction to this trailer as I did the first one back in the summer; screaming in my hand with joy. This time, no more doubts. I am convinced this movie is going to be awesome, no matter what Spoiled Squash Rotten Tomatoes says! This is where I've come to the conclusion that this film might do better than Captain America: Civil War. It pains me to say that, to be honest.
I also have to admit, I wasn't blown away by Civil War's trailer like I was with BvS. I liked it, it had an interesting twist, it some emotional scenes, I thought Black Panther looked freakin' amazing, but nothing that made me "yeeeee!!". It was more unexpected than surprising. There was no set up or preparation for us to see this trailer. I, like some others, found out about this trailer from Jeremy Jahns' reaction video of the trailer instead finding the trailer first. Sadly, I have a feeling that this may be Marvel's downfall; here's why.
After Avengers: Age of Ultron, I didn't feel like it was consistent with what we've seen before. It didn't feel like a Joss Wheadon film, either. You could tell with the different plot holes, the pacing, parts that didn't add up, and even the fact that Wheadon said he quit after Ultron. Now with Captain American Civil War, we're seeing the Avengers assemble again in a non-Avengers movie with them against each other, bringing in new characters, all in one movie before Infinity War, which is also a two parter, PLUS, Thor: Ragnarok is suppose to have Hulk to be a sidekick along side Thor. Cameos are one thing, but now it looks like phase three is relying on the action and Avengerness to hide the fact that the stories are lacking.
One big thing I noticed between these movie franchises is that Marvel is more of a "comic book movie" and DC is playing up the "superhero movie". Marvel has these stories of these unfortunate characters that have these new gifts that they use to ward off evil and how they react to the situations; it has more of a campiness to it as well. DC, on the other hand, plays up the super hero story type, where these are people who have these amazing abilities who are basically born that way and....they're just superheroes! Marvel explains through science, technology and training with how their heroes got their powers and abilities, where DC is just "bing bang boom superheroes". Marvel tried to base their characters more in reality, within the willing suspension of disbelief of course, where DC is just "oh crap superheroes, cool!" DC doesn't need a lot of explaining on how or why they got their powers and abilities, they just do. And that's where I think DC may have the upper hand this time. We've seen superhero movies before where it's just the hero, an origin story, an antagonist, a battle, hero wins, that's it! Man of Steel basically did that, but tried to be a little more complex with it; which wasn't a bad idea, it just suffered in some areas.
Plus, this is DC's first time doing the cinematic universe. We've had Marvel doing that since 2008 with Iron Man and building up from there. DC decided to take a short cut and just go straight for the crossover just to get the audience and fans used to the idea of these characters together on the big screen before building up the Justice League. The whole cinematic universe idea had already been done with Marvel, so in DC's defense, why reintroduce it? Marvel already showed us what it's like to have a movie with an ensemble of heroes, why reintroduce it? I feel like this is one of the many ways that DC is trying to separate itself from Marvel. DC is darker, Marvel is more light hearted. Marvel took it's time to build up to The Avengers, DC is going straight for a crossover. Granted, it's obvious they're trying to catch up with Marvel, but at least they're not starting their cinematic universe with the Justice League fighting Darkseid...sorta. The Justice League movie will come out after BvS, and it will be a 2-parter, however between part 1 and 2, they're giving the League members their own solo films. So whatever event ends part 1 will cause the members to train up for a battle to arise in part 2; which would make sense, but that's just me guessing.
For now, time will tell as to which franchise rises in the end. All I care about right now is that don't screw up Captain Marvel/Shazam by doing the storyline from New 52 Shazam!
But Then Again,
That's Just Me.
No comments:
Post a Comment